While we are proponents of the SaaS model, we have not seen credible SaaS accounting software for construction business applications yet. We believe that the SaaS model will eventually make its way into construction accounting, but for now that is not the case. Finally, you want to find a solution that you can customize if you have special reporting or processing needs. This may be relevant for larger companies that have multiple projects that they manage simultaneously and need to create comprehensive reports and cash flow data for stakeholders. Not only do you and your employees need to feel comfortable using the system but so do clients and subcontractors if you integrate them into the bidding and project management process.
- Construction Partner is a Windows-based application, so navigation by menus and tabs will be familiar to any user with minimal Windows experience.
- We believe that the SaaS model will eventually make its way into construction accounting, but for now that is not the case.
- Sage focuses on small and medium enterprises, while Quickbooks provides bookkeeping and accounting assistance to freelancers.
- Thus, Sage is a financially feasible application to maintain as a company grows.
- Information flows seamlessly between CoConstruct and QuickBooks, preventing users from entering information in two places while also ensuring that everything is always up to date.
- Developed and maintained by Sage Group, this bookkeeping software is a delight for accounting professionals and firms engrossed in difficult inventory activities that race close enough to deadlines.
Plus, Jonas Premier’s integrated platform allows for consolidated financials, and there’s even a handy accounts payable approvals process built in. Standard reports can be exported for manipulation, but reports aren’t really customizable from within the software itself. Knowify offers a browser-based Administrator console for easy application management.
FISCAL PERIODS CHANGE
Business intelligence refers to the more sophisticated analytics available in leading systems. Users should be able to run ad hoc reports and slice and dice data from the system to answer critical questions about the business. Modern systems will provide better insight into the profitability of individual jobs, and the company as a whole. This results from more accurate collection of data—fewer errors—as well as better reporting tools to explore the data in the system. Job costing alone will provide a tremendous improvement in reporting relative to generic accounting systems.
CMiC is web-based and can make the application somewhat intuitive for many users. However, there may be a learning curve because of all the functionality available in CMiC. Application users will want to avail themselves to the documentation provided by the developer. CMiC Global does provide consulting and training at a cost and construction bookkeeping phone and email support and video tutorials. Managing inventory and assets is also vital to ensuring project profitability, and CMiC provides a series of tools to track all physical assets from hammers to back-hoes. Construction managers can also transfer assets from one project to another through the asset management module.
Sage 50 and Peachtree Accounting Data Services
A solid AP function offers the usual features such as paying bills, processing credits, and offering time and expense tracking. The AR feature processes customer quotes, offers customized proposals, and handles processing of both sales orders and invoices. After pricing, we looked at data in a general features category. This category looked at the most common features sought by construction contractors and defined which companies provided them. Those that had all features provided for contractors without additional fees fared better than those that required you to choose a higher subscription service to unlock them. This included features, such as offering quotes and estimates, job costing, PO management, budgeting, billing and invoicing and accounts payable (A/P).